Introducing Tasty Tuesday! Every Tuesday I will share with you all one of my favorite recipes that I use in my allergy friendly day-to-day. Today’s recipe is turkey taco lettuce wraps. This is one of my go-tos when I want something that’s delish and relatively easy to make, because, let’s face it, when a girl needs to food prep allllllllll the freaking time, easy is the way to go!
Because I have a hard time coming up with my own recipes, I rely on a TON on googling to find recipes that I like and that I can eat. I also have access to Fixate, a cooking show through Beachbody on Demand, where this recipe originates. Fixate is pretty awesome because it puts a healthy spin on many comfort foods, but I often have to sub ingredients because many of the recipes include eggs and/or dairy (although a good bunch are gluten free!). Luckily, this recipe includes none of the above and is just straightforward goodness.
To start, here is the list of ingredients you need for the turkey meat:
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup low sugar marinara sauce
- as many lettuce leaves as needed
- chopped tomato (to top)
- cilantro (to top if desired)
I know this list looks like a lot of ingredients, but TRUST ME, it is so worth it! Now, let’s move on to actually making this yumminess in a pan.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper with a pinch of salt. Cook for 4-6 minutes.
- Add turkey with a pinch of salt. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add garlic powder, cumin, salt, chili powder, paprika, and oregano; mix well.
- Add water and marinara sauce. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 10-12 minutes.
- Top each lettuce leaf with a serving size of turkey (about 3/4 a cup), and add toppings of choice.
And finally, it’s time for the best part: all of the extras you can put inside or on top of your tacos! I try to mix it up whenever I have these tacos depending on my mood and to create variety. In the ones I made this week, I added a 1/4 cup of homemade guac (which I make in bulk using 4 avocados, 2 lemons, one lime, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, and a little bit of cumin), 2/3 of a cup of brown rice, 4 sliced cherry tomatoes, and a small bit of white onion.
And voila! Your allergy friendly meal is complete without eggs, whey/dairy, wheat/gluten, yeast, etc. Let’s dig in!! 🙂